Tuesday, February 19, 2008

the story continues...it's december 07

Ok, so Le Chat was doing well with the litter container in the toilet. I didn't do my research, and decided that i needed to start reducing the amount of litter. Each time, we would get down to just a dusting of clay litter in the bowl, and she would start doing her poo on the throw rug right next to the toilet. Then, I thought maybe she was mad that the pee wasn't soaked up with the small amount of litter, so I tried making a small hole. That didn't change her behavior and only allowed her to dump a bunch of clay litter in the toilet. (shhhhh, don't tell my landlord)....luckily, my toilet kept working. It was time for me to leave for a week for the holidays, so I just switched back to a bowl with no holes and plenty of litter. My roommate reported that there were no accidents with that setup while I was gone.



In January, I realized that I needed a new plan. I finally started doing a little more research and decided that I needed to get some flushable litter. I gradually started switching to Feline Pine. Le Chat was not pleased at first, and had a few accidents and started pooing only once every other day instead of once per day. She had only ONE peeing on the floor incident, and it was also on the poo throw rug (I cleaned it after every accident). Finally, she was consistently using the flushable litter in the litter container placed in the toilet. I built a "litter damn" using a plastic cup and a bunch of electrical tape and placed it in the 2 inch hole that I had previously made in the sitz bath container. I think she held out for 3 days before finally using the new setup, but it was success!! I also joined the yahoo group, Cats T-Training, which gave me more ideas and hope that we really will be able to achieve a litter-free lifestyle!

We have gradually progressed to a hole with a 4 inch diameter. We have been there for one week with no accidents so far... almost time to enlarge the hole. I can't wait for her "business" to start going directly in the toilet!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi carrie & le chat- what a cute name! do you meow with a french accent? good thing the clay litter didn't do anything to your pipes. anyway i wanted to stop by and say hi. i have a toilet training blog too and you will see that it becomes a valuable tool, especially when you are about to progress too fast, but you read your previous blog entries and it convinces you to slow down.

i'd like to add your blog to my website with your permission. there are quite a few of us blogging on a daily basis and we like to keep in touch and support each other by leaving blog comments. please stop by my blog if you haven't already.

jenny & hello
http://www.freewebs.com/myhellokitten

carrie said...

thanks for stopping by, jenny and hello! it's great to have support. it is fine if you want to put my blog on your website!

Carrie & Le Chat